Saturday, January 17, 2009

Mud

I love mud! It can really be a lot of fun at times. I really enjoy stripping the roof and doors off of my Wrangler and mud'n in the snow or rain. NICE!

Mud. A study of mud in the Bible reminds me of several important things about my life. One, it reminds me how important it is for me to have friends in my life. I shared this passage from the sacred literature in a previous post but it bears repeating. Jeremiah 38:6, 22 says, "So they took Jeremiah and put him into a well that had no water in it, only mud and Jeremiah sank down into the mud. And the women came and said to Jeremiah, where are your trusted friends, they have deserted you, and your feet are stuck in the mud." I would be stuck in the mud emotionally, professionally, relationally and spiritually if I did not have people close to me.

Two, mud reminds me of God's provision. Psalm 40:2, "He lifted me out of the slimy pit, out of the mud and mire, and He set my feet on the rock and gave me a firm place to stand." Apart from a personal relationship I would be not enjoy the benefit of abundant life today. He made provision for my sin.

Three, mud reminds me also of God's protection in my life. Exodus 14:25, "God jammed up the wheels of the Egyptian chariots so they could not pursue the Israelites across the Red Sea." Romans states that "the God of peace will crush Satan under my feet." When the forces of darkness seek my demise I can trust in my Heavenly Father's love to see me through.

Four, mud reminds me of the love of Jesus. In John 9, Jesus met a man who was born blind. He said (v. 5), I am the light of the world. Having said this (6), He spit on the ground, made some mud, and put it on the man's eyes. The man washed and he could see(11). This gives new meaning to the expression, "here's mud in your eye," doesn't it? Jesus meets me at my point of brokenness and speaks peace and healing. Oh, how I need His mud in my life!

Finally, mud reminds me how wasted my life would be without Jesus. 2 Peter 2:22 says, "for those who do not follow Jesus the proverb is true, a dog returns to its vomit and a pig that is washed goes back to wallowing in the mud." I love the mud of Jesus in my life and I thank Him for His cleansing power too! Because of Him my life has purpose, meaning, and all of the above (except the wallowing pig thing)! What say you?

Thanks for stopping by and before you go check out this mud run... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YzwBKyAgRMI

------------
Adrian
o llllll o

No comments:

Post a Comment