Wednesday, October 14, 2009

What can I control? (part 2)

Have you noticed that there is really not a whole lot in life we can control? For example, I received my first Christmas card today! What's up with that? If I was in control there would be no Christmas cards sent until after Thanksgiving Day weekend. My heart would have been much more receptive to the salesman had he sent me a bag of peanut M & M's in a Halloween card or a "thinking of you" penned in a Happy Thanksgiving card. Oh well, that is just another one of those things (variables) that I cannot control in life.

Recently I dug out some old Systems notes from my doctoral studies and refreshed myself on the "Holon" principle referred to a lot in the field of conflict management. It's a theory put forth by Arthur Koestler which suggests that everything is always a part and a whole simultaneously. It alerts leaders to the awareness that information can be obtained from any level of the congregation and use to understand what the Church is experiencing at any given time. This is particularly useful to the leader during times of unrest or transition in the Church. The Halon theory also reminds the leader that in order to accurately discern what the congregation is experiencing at any given time they must gather information from all the levels within the organization.

So back to my original question, "What can I control as a leader?" The Halon theory encourages those in Church leadership to remain mindful that the way they relate, react, and respond to information and circumstances in times of change and unrest, is the property of the relational system of the Church and not just the individual leader. Eventually what the leader is feeling, reacting and responding to will impact others because all provide emotional energy and impact to the organization.

So it is beneficial for leaders to process their experiences well. And, to know the more effectively they are able to record, recall and communicate their experience, feelings, reactions to others in times of transaction the better off others will be in their transformational journey. Knowing what leaders experience in decision making process will build trust and confidence, and give hope to others in times of transition.

God help me to be such a man.

Thanks for stopping by!
------
Adrian

No comments:

Post a Comment