Friday, August 7, 2009

A letter of resignation

I am writing to notify you that I am resigning from my position. I also want to inform you that Pastor Greg will no longer be your teaching pastor and the rest of the pastoral staff will be leaving as well. Now before I go any further let me explain.

That first paragraph was simply to get your attention and to remind us all of a future reality. As far as I know none of our staff plans to resign anytime soon but it will eventually occur at some point in the future. Pastors come and pastors go for any number of reasons but the church must remain and continue on for the glory of God and the good of society. Will WHFC be ready for that day?

Yes if we continue to define and follow a biblical model of church structure. The ABC model of the past 50-75 years developed an industry of sorts that looked to a CEO to set vision and run the church. It was his job to motivate people and raise the funds needed to keep the machine running. If he was successful in his effort employment continued and he often would reap a large financial reward for his success.

In the Western Church the ABC model did succeed for a season in terms of erecting buildings and gathering a crowd but look around ... the wheels have come off of that bus! That model left the church under-discipled and stuck doing ministry behind brick and mortar. It sure seems like God has pushed the reset button on the Church in America. Clearly Christ is revisioning His bride and is moving her back to a biblical model ... a model He can bless.

The revisioning of the Church is no easy task. The Church is prone emotionally to return to old patterns in an attempt to feel comfortable. Sometimes following the path of least resistance is more than just an emotional decision however. It can also be used as a means of shirking responsibility. We must know God's mandate and act upon it.

What is a biblical model of leadership structure for the Church? One where lay leaders assume responsibility of setting the direction and vision for the church and own a great deal of responsibility for implementing it each year along with the pastors.

I am pleased to be a part of a church and leadership team that seeks to flesh all of this out. We have a collegial mindset that continues to help us discern God's will for ministry, structure and vision. I am excited to see our lay leaders taking greater responsibility in some key areas. The future of our church demands it.

As our leadership continues to act on these principles please encourage and support them. It is for the over all good and health of WHFC. Celebrate that we are a fellowship of Christ followers who honor and seek to conform to the mandate of Scripture and not conform to the path of least resistance.

Okay, so our staff is not be leaving their post anytime soon ... but that day will come. Either God will call them to another assignment, they'll retire or move on to their heavenly reward. It's inevitable that something will happen one day and the church must be structured to make transition without falling apart. Praise God His word makes such provision.

The success of our pastoral leadership will ultimately be seen in how the church transitions through our departure some day. In a healthy scenario the body will not fragment and polarize behind a certain individual(s). Rather the church will be joined together under the banner of Christ's cause and not lose step in moving His great kingdom forward.

What say you? What's your thoughts on the importance of lay leadership in the local church? How close are we to the biblical template of scripture?

Thanks for stopping by!
------
Adrian

1 comment:

  1. As I reflect on what role the organized church has played in my personal walk as a ‘Follower of the Way’, I remember a time when I viewed the hired leadership of the community as the ones who had the time to think about such things as structure, disseminating wisdom, direction planning and community testimony implementation. I found myself too busy with the tasks of my life and relied upon that leadership to present to me what I should be aiming for if I was to continue in that community of believers. All the while, knowing following Jesus was my primary desire, I find it amusing that He has drawn me to a place where the role of the organized church has, (and most likely will again), change.
    While I still am stimulated by the presentation of the testimony presented by our hired leadership, I find myself able to let it be just that; the testimony of professional church workers (my brothers and sisters, my friends).
    I think for many years church attendees have defaulted to the premise that they personally would not have the ability to trust what they hear from God in their own hearts. I think the misbelief was perpetuated by concept that those who “answered the call” had somehow achieved some higher level of holiness. Yet as Jesus has shown me through scripture, organized religion is dangerous to the heart and our relationship with God.
    Personally, I see the organized church as co-coordinating the exploration of how God reveals Himself in the infinitely different ways of His children.
    I think there will always be a place (and need) for people like Greg to present the Gospel truths, and a need for people like Adrian to direct the business, but the day to day exploration of walking with God is where the real life is. I see the ‘church’ as primarily a gathering place where people can network and share the story of their life and resources.
    So the role of lay leadership becomes to hire and elect men and women who feel compelled to implement the networking.
    The weird part is discerning if the actions of the individual(s) is ‘counter Truth’ and to be able to discern that without relying on the strength of a person’s personality and ability to articulate an argument to decide.
    To do that, the lay leader (and ultimately the attendee) must know:
    Their heart can be restored and be trusted.
    That Jesus will direct and lead them.
    The church is (sanctification/salvation message and humanitarianism aside) simply a ‘club’ from which to ‘play’ in the sandbox of the world.
    It is Jesus’ desire to implement His will, ‘one on one’ with His brother or sister.
    Testimonies (while at times similar) are likely to be as varied as the number of people gathered and that is a beautiful thing to be embraced.

    ReplyDelete