Friday, April 10, 2009

Manhood - Part 5

What lens are you looking through?

In 1896, Berkley psychologist George Stratton published the findings from a study in which he wore mirror glasses that inverted his view of the world. For three weeks his view of the world was literally turned upside-down. At first he would get nauseous whenever he would move his head, let alone when he tried (and failed) to walk. But after about a week, his eyes and brain adjusted so that he saw the world as normal again, and was able to function as he had without the glasses (Craig Boreth, How to Feel Manly in a Mini Van, page 4).

This quote reminds me of the need I have for God to define me as an individual and to reset my spiritual compass to true north. I need Jesus Christ. Without His atoning work in my life I would be separated from the redemptive and restorative power of God. I would be subject to the view of self and world that comes through the lens of sin that once sat upon my face. Talk about being upside down ... wow!

Isaiah 53 says so poetically that Jesus was despised and rejected by men, a man of sorrows, and familiar with suffering... He took up our infirmities, and carried our sorrows, He was stricken, afflicted, smitten and pierced for our transgressions. He was crushed for our iniquities. The punishment that brought us peace was upon Him, and by His wounds we are healed.

By His wounds I am healed. That is my story on this Good Friday. That God loves me, gave His life for me by coming to earth through the person of Jesus Christ, suffered death on a Roman cross some two thousands years ago, was buried and three days later arose from the dead. I believe this... I have centered my life in Jesus Christ and I have reconciled with my God. Now He is in the process of transforming me into the likeness of Jesus Christ. Jesus has placed new lens on my face.

This is my story. What is yours? I would like to hear it.

Have a blessed Easter and thanks for stopping by!

------
Adrian

3 comments:

  1. 20 years ago I accepted the forgiveness and salvation He offered by His death and resurrection.
    5 years ago I accepted His offer to be freed from the yoke of my human condition and to have our relationship restored.
    Since that time He has been; healing me of the wounds inflicted by living in a fallen world, freeing me from the destructive thoughts and behaviors I developed to cope with living in that world, and shown me and allowed me to begin living now the life to the full He came to offer.
    I love Him.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The Grace of our lord enfolds my Life.
    His Life is mine as mine His.
    To be as He is, as He promised.
    So I abide in Him.
    Sharing this abode with Him who gave everything so as to live within.
    Honor and Glory to the Lamb that was slain.

    Thank you Jesus.

    Carry on!

    ReplyDelete
  3. We talk about God in the third person. We teach about God. However, we don't teach about our spouses or about good friends. We introduce them -- we don't teach about them. Is it that I only talk about God, or that I do know God but I am just uncomfortable claiming such familiarity with Him? It causes me to think about whether I am sitting in classroom learning about God or actually developing a personal relationship with Him.

    The joy comes from simply being in the presence of God. Psalm 139 speaks loudly because it speaks so poignantly of being in an intimate relationship with God. I have known something of that intimacy, and I want more of it, like someone who has fallen in love again. I think the writer of James understood this well: "Come near to God and He will come near to you." James 4:8

    “Dilige, et quod vis fac"

    ReplyDelete