Wednesday, November 18, 2009

I John 2:1-2 summary

John writes,

"My little children, these things I write to you that you may not sin. And if anyone sins, we have an Advocate with the Father, Jesus Christ the righteous. And He Himself is the propitiation for our sins, and not for ours only, but also for the whole world."


Summary of the original text:
"My little children, these things I write to you that you may not sin"
- "My", (emos) meaning "proceeding from me"

- "Little children," (teknion) meaning "darling one; to be near and dear to the heart"

- "Sin," (hamartano) meaning to miss the mark and not share in the prize.


"And if anyone sins, we have an Advocate with the Father, Jesus Christ the righteous."
-"sins" (hamartia), meaning to be sin filled

- "Advocate," (parakletos) meaning intercessor or literally the one who brings to parties together.

- "righteous," (dikaios) meaning to make innocent. Derived from (dike) meaning to make equitable in character and action.


"And He Himself is the propitiation for our sins, and not for ours only, but also for the whole world."
- "propitiation," (hilasmos) meaning an expiator. Webster says an expiator is one who puts an end to guilt and assiduous labor.

- "sins," (hamartia) meaning sin filled

- "world," (kosmos) meaning the world and all of its adorning; all of creation in both the wide and narrow sense, including its inhabitants.


My translation of I John 2:1-2:
John is saying, My dear readers of this letter, you are near and dear to my heart because I am your spiritual daddy. I write to you at this time because I do not want you to miss out on the prize given to you through Jesus Christ because of the deception of the Gnostics. You were once sinfilled (not according to the original design of God; not being found in His image or likeness) but Jesus Christ reconciled you with God and to His original design for your life. Now you are one with the Father and perfect in His sight (or right where He wants you to be at this time, "telios"). Jesus has made you innocent (perfect, "telios")by purging you of a nature that was not of Him and replaced it with His. Jesus has put an end to your guilt and labor to gain God's approval. You have peace with God and no one has the right to tell you otherwise. Tell the whole world and all of God's creation, that Jesus can put an end to the guilt and shame of sin once and for all!

------
Thanks for stopping by!

Adrian

No comments:

Post a Comment