Thursday, July 2, 2009

Relationship # 5

Do you have a book or two in your library that you read and re-read because they help maintain some level of senility in your life? I do. Of course the Bible is one (you can't top sacred literature for soothing the savage beast). Another one that is near and dear to my heart is titled, "Never Call Them Jerks: Healthy Responses to Difficult Behavior" by Arthur Paul Boers. It's a great read for any church leader, for sure!

No church is immune to the problems that can arise when attendees behave in selfish or difficult ways. I have found that responding to such situations with some level of understanding as to why people "act out" in a relational system, incorporated with self-awareness regarding my role and means to affect/effect the system can make the difference between peace and disaster. Books like Boers helps me to keep my mind in perspective and my tongue in check. Paul admonition to the saints was "to let "no" unwholesome word come out of your mouth except that that which is edifying to your brother" (Ephesians 4:29).

The emotional state of the leader has a tremendous effect upon any group. So when a leader can make contact with with the "more anxious ones" (notice I did not use the "J" word) , bringing his/her best thinking to bear, hearing the concerns, validating people, communicating and demonstrating that relationship is primary over the issues present at the time, that the anxiety will dissipate and the group will be more apt to find common ground, seek out solutions and work them, and move forward with one another for the glory of God.

Some times it only takes one to change the unhealthy patterns in a relational system like home, church or work. Will you be that one? That would make at least two of us!

Now I've got a hankering for beef jerky ... got to go! Thanks for stopping by!
------
Adrian

14 comments:

  1. Another great post. The book that keeps me grounded is Celebration of Discipline by Richard Foster. A timeless classic in my opinion. For me, getting back to the spiritual disciplines is where it's at. As I practice those things that keep me grounded in Christ (things like submission, solitude, service, etc.) then I am better able to cope with all that is going on around me and I'm better equipped to offer something of substance to those with whom I interact. If I'm all torn up on the inside, I won't have much to offer others except the turmoil that they are already experiencing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am still stimulated by Eldredge's "Waking The Dead", and no, I will not be the one, sorry ;>(

    ReplyDelete
  3. Deep down inside Monkey I know you want to be the "one!" Don't you?

    Pat, it sounds like you have a plan and are working it. It shows. Tell me more about submission ...
    (tee hee)

    ReplyDelete
  4. SIGH....When will I learn?....

    ReplyDelete
  5. Narrow, monkey & eye ball,
    You should show a little respect for your elder and be submissive ... tada!

    ReplyDelete
  6. As well you should be, Monkey. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank yu for your time and great information about healthy relationships "Chewing on the things that really matter in life". I have been doing my part - practice, practice and more practice - and it's working! (PTL)

    Have a great July 4th weekend. Freedom (John 8:32) I thank God for I am experiencing "Freedom in Christ". I thank God also for the leaders of our church for creating a free Spirit in our church.

    Momma

    ReplyDelete
  8. mea culpa, mea culpa, mea maxima culpa :-{

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ok eyeball, don't make me go to the translator again, whats that mean?

    ReplyDelete